Fifty Pence Story? (with thanks to Simon Armitage)
Kersten Hall reflects on the history behind the UK’s 50 pence coin with reference to current British poet laureate Simon Armitage’s “ten Pence Story.” The newly minted coin commemorates Rosalind Franklin and her famous Photograph 51, an X-ray image of DNA.
Perspectives on Graduate Student Unionization
Following the HSS Council’s endorsement of the AHA’s statement on unionization (see the July 2020 issue of the HSS Newsletter), graduate students and early career scholars hope to provoke a wider discussion of the issue of graduate student unionization by offering their takes on why it is so important and why the current pandemic crisis makes the issue more urgent than ever.
A Historian of Science Off the Beaten Path
In this article, we hear from a historian of science whose career was decidedly unconventional for a PhD in our discipline. He tells of his choices and career trajectory, and offers some pithy advice for graduate students and young scholars on the job market.
- Innovations in Education – October 2020
- Member News – October 2020
- In Memoriam: Richard Olson, Elizabeth Anne Wolfe Garber
- HSS News – October 2020
- Notes from Our Bibliographer – October 2020
- News from the Profession – October 2020
- From Our Readers – October 2020
- BONUS: These Are A Few of Our Favorite Reads