A message from Shunryu Colin Garvey (Affiliate Fellow, Institute for Human-Centered AI (HAI)):
I am happy to announce the publication of “Artificial Intelligence and its Discontents,” a special double issue of Interdisciplinary Science Reviews that I guest edited. It covers AI across a number of critical intersections, from history, literature, and healthcare to epistemology, decolonization, and ethnography. In my humble opinion, this is the cutting edge of AI criticism, and I think there’s something for everyone in this expansive collection.
*My introduction to the issue is constructed as a brief literature review of the past 60+ years of AI criticism, and includes a rather extensive bibliography which you might find useful for teaching and/or further research.
Articles (Linked articles are open access)
- The lamp and the lighthouse: Joseph Weizenbaum, contextualizing the critic – Zachary Loeb
- Artificial stupidity – Michael Falk
- The science of artificial intelligence and its critics (open access) – Harry Collins
- Good governance as a response to discontents? Déjà vu, or lessons for AI from other emerging technologies (open access) – Inga Ulnicane, Damian Okaibedi Eke, William Knight, George Ogoh and Bernd Carsten Stahl
- Beyond ‘AI for Social Good’ (AI4SG): social transformations—not tech-fixes—for health equity – Cheryl Holzmeyer
- Don’t touch my stuff: historicising resistance to AI and algorithmic computer technologies in medicine – Ariane Hanemaayer
- Clinical translation of computational brain models: understanding the salience of trust in clinician–researcher relationships – S. Datta Burton , T. Mahfoud, C. Aicardi and N. Rose
- Truth from the machine: artificial intelligence and the materialization of identity – Os Keyes, Zoë Hitzig and Mwenza Blell
- Can artificial intelligence be decolonized? – Rachel Adams
- Ethnographic artificial intelligence – Alan F. Blackwell
PS – If your institution doesn’t provide access to this journal and you’d like read any of the pieces, you can find a copy of the whole issue on my webpage (http://www.shunryugarvey.com/