The Institute for the History of Medicine and Science López Piñero (IHMC)is now a research center of the University of Valencia. The Institute organizes master and doctorate programs in “History of science and scientific communication.” It also develops numerous activities (exhibitions, cinema, etc.) and research seminars. The center is located in a restored eighteenth century palace (Palau de Cervero) in which is the historical library with an extraordinary collection of bibliographical resources, particularly medical books since sixteenth-century. The center also gathers the scientific and medical instruments collection and organizes permanent and temporary exhibitions.
The new series of seminars during the Fall 2015 are:
- 15 October
- Bernadette Bensaude-Vincent (University Paris 1-Pantheon-Sorbonne):
- Chemistry: The Impure Science
- Intellectual property in science and technology
- 4 November: Dominic Berry (University of Edinburgh)
- Scientific innovation in IP: the challenges of agroecology and synthetic biology in the UK
- 18 November: Stathis Arapostathis (National and Kapodistrian University of Athens)
- Intellectual Property Rights and Industrial Culture in Greece in the 20th century
- 25 November: Rafaela Domínguez (Universitat de València)
- Propietat intel·lectual i medicaments alemanys a Espanya
- 2 November: Round table : Knowledge on sale?
- Book presentation
- 20 January 2016, 18 h. “Ciència i medicina en la València foral€, Afers, vol. XXX, 82 (2015). Edited by Carmel Ferragud (IHMC) i M. Luz López (CSIC),
- 27 January 2016
- Carolin Schmitz (Ingenio CSIC-UPV)
- Enfermos, herbolarios y médicos de corte: la itinerancia terapeúica en el siglo XVII
- All session: Palau Cerveró, Conference room, 16 h.
November Series: The mystery of Madame Lafarge: Science, Justice and Law
With the collaboration of the French Institute. The conferences will take place at the conference room of the French Institute: Moro Zeit, 6, 46001 València
- 3 November. 19h: The Lafarge affair.
- Michel Gache, Circle Marie Capelle-Marie Lafarge
- L’affaire Lafarge, Pierre Chenal. 1938.110 min (French)
- 10 November 20 h: Science, Justice and Law
- Olivier Leclerc (Centre de Recherches crÃtiques sur le Droit, University© Jean Monnet, Paris): The Judge and the Expert: Science at the courts.
- Book presentation: The truth about the Lafarge Affair. Science, Justice and Law during the nineteenth century (Barcelona, 2015) by José Ramón Bertomeu Sánchez.
- New seminars series (on (1) Identities and (2) Women, children and health will be organized in 2016. Details will be provided soon.
FALL 2015: STEVIA: The sweet panacea
This exhibition is focused on natural and artificial sweeteners, particularly on those related to Stevia, the group of plants whose name is based on Pere Jaume Esteve (c.1500-1556), a professor of the University of Valencia. Opening: 28 October 2015.
CINEMA: Thursdays, 18 h. Conference room
- 1 Oct: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Rouben Mamoulian, 1931
- 15 Oct: Monkey Business, Howard Hawks, 1952
- 22 Oct: X, Roger Corman, 1963
- 29 Oct: The Fly, David Cronenberg, 1986
NOVEMBER: Sweet and Sugar
- 5 Nov: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Mel Stuart, 1971
- 12 Nov: Waitress, Adrienne Shelly, 2007
- 19 Nov: Chocolat, Lasse Hallstrom, 2000
- 26 Nov: Tiempos de azucar, Juan Luis Iborra, 2001.
- DECEMBER: Ancient Science and Medicine
- 3 Dec: Agora, Alejandro Amenabar, 2009
- 10 Dec: Der Medicus, Philipp Stolzl, 2013
- 17 Dec: Giordano Bruno Giuliano Montaldo, 1973