Call for Posters for 2015 HSS Meeting, San Francisco
August 17, 2015
Because the History of Science Society’s recently completed strategic plan emphasizes dynamic annual meetings the HSS is issuing a special call for posters for the 2015 Annual Meeting in San Francisco. While posters can address any topic germane to the history of science, broadly defined, we especially invite posters related to the theme “Images in/of Science.” We welcome posters that bring attention to unusual images, or that reinterpret familiar images in provocative new ways. Posters provide an opportunity to address questions like:
- How have changes in image-making affected research, publication, or patronage strategies?
- How have scientists, their tools, or their workspaces been represented in pictures?
- What kinds of once significant scientific images have been discarded or forgotten, and why?
- What role have particular images played in constructing the reputations of individuals, institutions, or disciplines?
- How can close attention to images deepen our understanding of natural knowledge making?
- Who has repurposed scientific images, and to what ends?
- What images are especially useful in teaching the history of science, and why?
- How can images be effectively used in public histories of science?
For this theme, the poster presentations should focus on the “extra-textual.” This can include images, artifacts, even “experiments.” The poster should serve as the lynchpin for some kind of point or argument that can be conveyed in a short oral explication or demonstration. The abstract should include a description of some of the images or other “extra-textual” elements that will be part of the poster.
Posters will be set up on a 4’ X 5’ (122 cm X 152 cm) foam board on an easel. Posters will be presented on 20 Nov from 12:30 to 20:30 with the authors present for discussion from 19:15 to 20:30. The poster presentations will be a central part of the Society’s reception that evening.
Proposals should be submitted no later than September 14, 2015 at https://hssweb.org/callforpapers. Decisions about accepted proposals will be issued on September 30, 2015. Those who are already on the program are not eligible to submit a poster proposal.
Graduate students, independent scholars, and recent PhDs who participate in the poster session are eligible for consideration for travel grants. More information can be found on the HSS Meeting page at this link. Applications must be submitted by September 30, 2015. Eligible candidates are encouraged to apply before proposal decisions have been announced.