The Chemical Heritage Foundation (CHF)
Job Type: Museums and Libraries
Application Deadline: June 30, 2014
The Chemical Heritage Foundation (CHF) is recruiting for the position of Director of the Museum. The Director of the Museum will be responsible for establishing and implementing mission-driven goals for the museum, overseeing museum operations and exhibition development, and directing the growth, care, and management of CHF’s collections of artifacts, instruments, and art. Working collaboratively with an experienced group of curators across the institution, the Director of the Museum will proactively engage researchers and staff at all levels of the organization to promote the history of science and technology through outreach, exhibitions, and innovative programming, while raising awareness of CHF’s role in the field both nationally and internationally. The Director will lead the museum team in implementing the vision set forth in the strategic plan.
The focus of CHF’s museum is on 19th and 20th century scientific instrumentation, the sciences and technologies of matter and materials, and their effects on the modern world. We collect, preserve, and exhibit historical artifacts; engage communities of scientists and engineers; and tell the stories of the people behind breakthroughs and innovations.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A Master’s or Ph.D. degree in history of science and technology, history, museum studies or related field. (Ph.D. preferred.)
- Experience in managing a museum or special collections, preferred in the field of science and technology, as well as experience in curating exhibitions in museums or special collections repositories.
- Strong knowledge of museum principles, concepts, methodologies, techniques and procedures, as well as knowledge of conservation practices and procedures for artifacts, instruments and fine art collections.
- Demonstrated successful record of achievement in project management, to include multiple simultaneous projects.
- Experience in grant applications and in cooperating with advancement professionals.
- Strong competency in using MS Word, MS Excel and MS Outlook programs, as well as collections management database systems.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Flexibility to travel internationally/domestically 10%-20% of the time.
To be considered for this position, please send cover letter with salary expectations and resume/CV to:
– CHF is an Equal Opportunity Employer –
The Chemical Heritage Foundation(CHF) is a non-profit organization that preserves the history and heritage of science, technology and industry, with a focus on the sciences and technologies shaping material innovation. In bridging science and technology with the humanities, arts and social sciences, CHF is committed to building a vibrant, international community of scholars; creating a rich source of traditional and emerging media; expanding the reach of our museum; and engaging the broader society through inventive public events. CHF is located in the heart of beautiful Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia. For further information, visit our website at www.chemheritage.org.
Posted: June 16, 2014