Technical University of Denmark
Job type: tenure track
Application deadline: April 10, 2020
Creating Europe’s best engineering education
In recent years, DTU has cemented its position as a dedicated entrepreneurial university and continuously aims to provide the means that allow all students regardless of gender and background to develop their entrepreneurial capabilities, enabling them to solve challenges facing our society and our planet. In order to reinforce our commitment to educating engineers who can meet the challenges of the future, DTU puts a premium on teaching and learning by investing in a new research area in entrepreneurship didactics. Thus, DTU now invites applications for a position as Professor in the field of Entrepreneurship Didactics.
The professor will be part of the Centre for Technology Entrepreneurship (DTU Entrepreneurship) and is expected to take the lead in building up a research team with the drive, vision, and talent to elevate our research and teaching activities within the area of entrepreneurship didactics.
DTU Entrepreneurship is a newly established centre aiming to be a world-renowned centre of excellence for building the entrepreneurial and technology innovation capabilities of students, researchers, and organizations. The centre currently employs approximately 30 people, including eight permanent faculty and eight PhD students. The centre collaborates very closely with colleagues across DTU’s entrepreneurial eco-system, particularly DTU Skylab, an international leading hub for technology innovation and entrepreneurship that will function as a central learning environment to test and apply new teaching and learning formats.
Research fields of the professorship
The overall purpose of the professorship is to cross the disciplinary borders of entrepreneurship to tap into theories and methods of education science and pedagogical practices to supply reflexive and critical approaches to the levels of both research and educational practice.
The professor in Entrepreneurship Didactics will moreover address diversity and inclusiveness in their research. An inclusive approach to education that recognizes and correct biases inherent in pedagogic choices is needed to harness the value that a diverse student population brings to the table, as universities prepare them for an uncertain future.
The professor must have extensive didactical and pedagogical knowledge and expertise in today’s entrepreneurship education action and interventions, bridging the research into education science and pedagogical practice. In this endeavour, the professorship will have a strong resolve to balance the objectives of research between scientific rigor and practical relevance in order to produce useful and applicable knowledge on entrepreneurship education.
The professor will take an integral part in designing and delivering a new two-year master programme on technology entrepreneurship. This programme is the first of its kind in Denmark that truly offers an interdisciplinary education where students from any bachelor programmes regardless of background (humanities, social science, natural, and technical science etc.) can be admitted. The programme will be a primary arena for the application of research knowledge to create a direct impact on teaching and learning activities.
Responsibilities and tasks
The new professor is expected to set the direction for developing a strong research unit in the area of entrepreneurship didactics and diversity. This includes developing and front new research and alliances, developing research applications and accelerating the academic output in general.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Conduct and initiate research that is world-class, and transformative in terms of originality, impact and rigour, showing headship in the research field to support and underline the university’s continuing emphasis on international excellence;
- Front the development of successful research proposals in close collaboration with relevant partners internal and external to the university in pursuit of suitable national and international funding opportunities.
- Enhance the quality of the research environment in the centre and university, by being outward looking to establish and heading research groups/networks nationally and internationally recognised at an international level.
- Attract and provide excellent supervision to students and engage in the mentoring of early career researchers.
- Deliver excellent, innovative, and inclusive teaching in technology entrepreneurship at the BSc, MSc, and PhD levels.
- Enhance the design and development of new curricula and degree programmes in technology entrepreneurship by bridging knowledge and experience in entrepreneurship and education science.
- Demonstrate leadership and innovation in the design and delivery of high-quality learning environments, including advancing the use of digital learning technologies.
- Develop, amplify, and implement and evaluate diversity and inclusive principles and practices of all faculty in teaching entrepreneurship not only at the centre, but also across departments at the University and to external stakeholders.
We are looking for a candidate who is passionate about didactically enhancing the field of entrepreneurship as a means to complement the strong technical skills of our graduates with the skills of the future as encompassed in their entrepreneurial capabilities. The candidate should therefore demonstrate research and teaching excellence in the combined fields of Entrepreneurship, Education Science, and Diversity. Specifically, we are looking for the following qualifications:
- A good first degree and a PhD in Entrepreneurship and/or Education Science—preferably the combination hereof—including a demonstrable knowledgebase within diversity and inclusiveness and the application hereof.
- A high level of original scientific production at international level, with the potential to contribute to further development of the area.
- Evidence of a personal and group research plan in line with and elevating the centre’s research strategy and overall vision.
- Track record of expertise in research management, including leading national/international research groups and/or handling management tasks in national/international research projects.
- Evidence excellence in the development and delivery of teaching at various levels of the University’s study programmes.
- Documented leadership experience in the design and development of curricula, learning environments and/or degree programmes in entrepreneurship build on inclusiveness principles.
- Evidence of excellence in successful research grants.
- Entrepreneurial and/or start-up experience would be desirable.
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to:
- Experience and quality of teaching and curriculum development
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership and collaboration
- Communication skills
Consideration will also be given to:
- Research profile on diversity and inclusiveness in entrepreneurship/engineering/ STEM.
- Documented experience with applying diversity and inclusiveness research in educational design and/or entrepreneurship activities.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding job in an international environment with a lot of opportunity for professional and personal growth. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
The teaching and supervision will primarily be conducted in English, but for international candidates, DTU can provide Danish language courses enabling the candidates to teach in Danish within two to three years.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
An executive search exercise is being undertaken by Perrett Laver to assist the recruitment committee. For informal inquiries about the role, please contact Yana Shevkirova (Yana.Shevkirova@perrettlaver.com or +44 (0)20 7340 6208).
Read more about DTU Entrepreneurship.
Please submit your online application no later than 10 April 2020 (23:59 local time).
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link ‘Apply online’, fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter) addressed to the President
- A vision for future research and education
- Teaching and research statement, with a focus on the ‘Assessment’ bullet points listed above
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the ‘Assessment’ bullet points listed above
- List of publications indicating scientific highlights
- H-index, and ORCID
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
As a technical university, we are mindful of our agency in the underrepresentation of women and minority groups in the world of technology—as academics as well as entrepreneurs and innovators. We are committed to alleviating the underrepresentation of women and minority groups in academic positions at the University and we therefore invite all interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background to apply.
Also, if you have taken a career break or periods of leave, such as maternity, adoption or parental leave, which may have impacted your career path, you may wish to disclose this in your application. The selection committee will recognize the effect that this may have had on your academic record.
Centre for Technology Entrepreneurship is based on three pillars – Education, Research and an ImpactLab – intertwined to achieve its mission to build the entrepreneurial capabilities of students, researchers, and organizations.
Academic members of the centre publish in the top journals in entrepreneurship and innovation management and pursue research in the fields of start-up creation and success; Entrepreneurial teams; Entrepreneurship and health; Creativity, innovation, and corporate entrepreneurship; IP and technology licensing; Business models of technology start-ups and SMEs. Impact entrepreneurship and ‘techvelopment’ is a growing area of interest within the group, as are digital business models. Furthermore, the group is characterized by a strong dedication to the implications of their research for delivering excellent and futureproof entrepreneurship education.
The centre offers a suite of BSc, MSc, and PhD courses specializing in entrepreneurship, innovation, and sustainable business models, and we are currently developing a new two-year interdisciplinary post-graduate programme on Technology Entrepreneurship to commence September 2020. We also take pride in supervising entrepreneurship theses and project courses for students across DTU as a means to spur an entrepreneurial mindset and culture.
DTU Entrepreneurship has in addition to the research and teaching activities, also an ‘Impact Lab’ focused on experimenting and translating research knowledge into practice where the professorship will have ample opportunity to take important strides in incorporating learning theories and theoretical didactical knowledge in entrepreneurship education followed by testing and translating such new concepts in practice.
Technology for people
DTU develops technology for people. With our international elite research and study programmes, we are helping to create a better world and to solve the global challenges formulated in the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Hans Christian Ørsted founded DTU in 1829 with a clear vision to develop and create value using science and engineering to benefit society. That vision lives on today. DTU has 11,500 students and 6,000 employees. We work in an international atmosphere and have an inclusive, evolving, and informal working environment. Our main campus is in Kgs. Lyngby north of Copenhagen and we have campuses in Roskilde and Ballerup and in Sisimiut in Greenland.
Posted: March 20, 2020