University of Oslo
Job Type: Postdoc
Application Deadline: February 1, 2019
A Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship (SKO 1352) is available at the Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages, University of Oslo. The fellowship is funded by the Research Council Norway and is associated with the project “The Lifetimes of Epidemics in Europe and the Middle East” (project no 283375) led by Ass. Prof. Einar Wigen.
“The Lifetimes of Epidemics in Europe and the Middle East” (EPIDEMICS) sets out to analyse and understand the different temporalities of epidemics – how social, scientific and political preconditions for preventing and handling epidemics change, and how these temporalities are challenged by the temporalities of pathogens and disease. The regional emphasis in the project is on Europe and the Middle East.
The position announced is for a post-doctoral fellow working on epidemics in the Middle East, preferably with a historical emphasis and with a special focus on the temporalities involved. This includes, but is not limited to, the interfaces between scientific knowledge and politics, networks translating or transmitting knowledge and representations of epidemics, and institutional and cultural responses to epidemics. The successful applicant will have a language-based regional expertise on one or more Middle Eastern contexts. Moreover, training in medical humanities, history, cultural history, STS (Science and Technology Studies), history of science, historical International Relations, or related methods of inquiry will be considered an advantage.
The EPIDEMICS project is part of the LIFETIMES research group. Applicants are expected to familiarise themselves with LIFETIMES and frame their project proposals within this overall framework, to be found here.
Read more about EPIDEMICS here.
The position is available for a period of 2.5 years.
The successful candidate is expected to become part of the research environment of the department and contribute to its development. The main purpose of postdoctoral research fellowships is to qualify researchers for work in higher academic positions within their disciplines.
- PhD or equivalent academic qualifications in a field relevant to the project
- Specialisation in language-based Middle Eastern studies
- The candidate’s research project must be closely connected to EPIDEMICS
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English
- Personal suitability and motivation for the position
Experience in working on topics of health and medicine in the Middle East is considered beneficial.
The doctoral dissertation must be submitted for evaluation by the closing date. Appointment is dependent on the public defence of the doctoral thesis being approved.
In the evaluation of the applications, emphasis will be placed on:
- The project’s scientific merit, research-related relevance and innovation
- The applicant’s estimated academic and personal ability to carry out the project within the allotted time frame and contribution to EPIDEMICS
- Good co-operative skills, and the ability to successfully join in academic collaboration within and across disciplines
The committee will also consider the overall composition of the project group when evaluating applicants.
How to apply
The application must include
- Application letter describing the applicant’s qualifications and motivation for the position
- Curriculum Vitae with grades listed (with a list of education, positions, teaching experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activities)
- List of publications
- Project description (3 – 5 pages). The project description must present a feasible progress plan. It is expected that the applicant will be able to complete the project during the period of appointment
- One academic publication (if such exists).
- Copies of educational certificates.
Diplomas, certificates, doctoral thesis and other academic works may be requested later.
Please note that all documents must be in English or a Scandinavian language.
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system, please follow the link “apply for this job.” Applicants with education from a foreign university must attach an explanation of their university’s grading system.
The short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
Application deadline 1 February 2019.
For more information and application, see here.
Posted: January 03, 2019