History of Science Society
Job Type: Government/Non-Profit
Application Deadline: February 15, 2019
The History of Science Society editorial office, based on the MSU campus in Starkville, MS, is
seeking an individual to work 30 hours/week as Managing Editor. Salary is $25,000 annually,
plus benefits accorded MSU employees. Hours are flexible but the Managing Editor is expected to be physically present in the office at least 3 days per week and when the Editorial Assistants are present. The position officially starts on June 1, 2019.
The History of Science Society editorial office houses the Co-Editors and related staff that
oversee the scholarly journals Isis, the annual companion issue, Osiris, the Isis Current
Bibliographies, and a forthcoming web-based platform devoted to communicating history of
science research to the public. A satellite office of the Book Review Editor, an Editorial
Assistant, and a continuous flow of newly-published books, will be located at the Consortium for the History of Science, Technology, and Medicine in Philadelphia, PA.
- Overseeing the editorial assistants — making sure good assistants are hired (eye for detail, punctual, interested in the history of science or academic publishing or both), that they are properly trained to do their tasks, and that they are completing them in a timely fashion.
- Organizing and chairing regular work meetings for the Isis team in the Starkville office.
- Communicating weekly with the Philadelphia-based Book Review Editor and editorial
assistant about the status of books and book reviews.
- Managing article and book review manuscripts after they have been approved for publication as they move from manuscript editor to typesetter. The Managing Editor is expected to interface with the Press and the Manuscript Editor, making sure that both are receiving materials on time.
- Managing the proofing stage (keeping track of author proofs then checking proofreader’s and author’s corrections). The Managing Editor is the last person to see the entire issue and clears it for printing.
- Monitoring the number of pages that is published per year (this is a fixed number plus max 8% overage according to the current contract).
- The Managing Editor will be working closely with the Press’ editorial manager manuscript submission and tracking program (we understand that it will take a little time to learn how it works) and, as the main point of contact with the Press, be responsible for troubleshooting problems should they arise.
- Overseeing the budget of the Starkville and Philadelphia offices.
- Working with the Co-Editors to generate the semi-annual reports to HSS.
- Managing the journal’s social media (Facebook and Twitter)
- As it is developed, helping the Co-Editors generate content for the public-facing online
- Travel to the annual HSS meeting (usually held the first week of November every year).
- Ability to manage Editorial Assistants.
- Attention to detail while managing several tasks simultaneously.
- An editorial eye for spelling, grammar, typographical errors, and internal consistency.
- Familiarity with Chicago citation style.
- Familiarity with PC and Mac word processing and spreadsheet programs.
- Professionalism, especially in email communication.
- Result-, solution-, and service-oriented.
Additional skills preferred:
- Some background in academia and/or scientific publishing, especially a familiarity with the history of science field.
- Some knowledge of basic bookkeeping.
- Familiarity with a language other than English.
Please submit a cover letter, a current c.v., and a list of three references to
IsisJournal@history.msstate.edu. We will begin evaluating applications on February 15, 2019.
Posted: January 18, 2019