Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
Job Type: Fixed-Term
Application Deadline: May 15, 2019
The Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Archives, with the support of the Goelet Trust, seeks to fill a one-year Historian of Life Sciences position to appraise the historical collections of original materials in our archive.
This position is instrumental in our preparations for the launch of the Center for Studies in Humanities and the Life Sciences at CSHL. The historian will thoroughly review and appraise the content of our extensive collections of original documents in enough detail to fully understand their scientific, historical, and social content. The historian will work systematically through collections, discover “hidden jewels” which will provide leads for future users of the collections in different disciplines and write short descriptions of items of special interest for dissemination purposes. All findings will be included in a detailed subject guide that the historian will begin in their first year at the Archives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Appraise the Archives’ collections for their historical, cultural, and scientific importance, among other qualities
- Expand our existing catalog with key words, subjects, and brief descriptions of the contents of the collections
- Identify items of special interest, write brief descriptions of the item and its historical and scientific relevance for a lay audience, and post them on a blog maintained by the CSHL Archives
- Generate a detailed study guide for the collections for use by future historians
- Create a workshop at the end of the year together with the executive director of the library and archives
- Present findings in papers at meetings/workshop on history of science
See more information and apply online here.
Posted: February 23, 2019