The University of Vienna
Job type: tenure track
Application deadline: May 1, 2016
The Faculty of Historical and Cultural Studies of the University of Vienna announces the position of a Full Professor of Modern History: History of Science (full time, permanent position under private law).
The announcement is aimed at Historians of Science who have, through innovative research, demonstrated an interest in the History of Science as a historical discipline from the 15th to the mid- 20th century. Their research and teaching competences should cover a number of areas of scientific knowledge, including in particular the field of “History of (Natural) Science”.
An essential precondition is a familiarity with conceptual-integrative approaches that relate to overarching/general questions of cultural, political and social history and reflect upon these on the basis of a plurality of methods/methodologies and perspectives . Candidates are also expected to contribute to one of the key research areas of the Faculty of Historical and Cultural Studies.
The University of Vienna with its extraordinarily broad range of disciplines and the city of Vienna with its libraries, archives, museums and other institutions provide an ideal environment for research and teaching.
Successful candidates should have the following qualifications:
- PhD and post-doctoral experience at a university or other research institution
(Austrian or equivalent international academic degree in the relevant field)
- outstanding research and publication record, with an excellent reputation as an active member of the international academic community; Habilitation (venia docendi) or equivalent international qualification in the relevant field is desirable
- experience in designing, procuring and directing major research projects, as well as the willingness and ability to team leadership of research groups
- experience in university teaching, willingness and ability to teach at all curricular levels (Bachelor, Master, PhD) both in the History of Science and Modern History, to supervise theses, and to further the work of junior academic colleagues
- A willingness to make an appropriate contribution to the Faculty Research Area “History of Science, Cultures of Knowledge, Knowledge Societies”, and to the program of the MA program in “History and Philosophy of Science“.
- It is also expected that the successful candidate will assume responsibility for interdisciplinary cooperation in these structures both in the Faculty, the University of Vienna and in its Doctoral Schools and internationally, and will be responsible for the further development of these and new areas.
The University of Vienna expects the successful candidate to acquire, within three years, proficiency in German sufficient for teaching in Bachelor programs and participation in committees.
For more information and application instructions, please visit the website.
Posted: February 22, 2016