The John Templeton Foundation
Organization and Position
The John Templeton Foundation serves as a philanthropic catalyst for discoveries relating to the deepest and most perplexing questions facing humankind. We support research within disciplines ranging from astrophysics, evolutionary biology, and genetics, to philosophy, psychology, and economics. We seek to share and discuss discoveries related to life’s purpose and human happiness. In all cases, our goal is to spur curiosity and accelerate discovery. To catalyze such discoveries, we provide grants for independent academic research on a wide range of topics that relate to the Foundation’s mission.
The Associate, Strategic Alliances will be a part of the Foundation’s Communications and Engagement team. This team works collaboratively to expand awareness of the work funded by the John Templeton Foundation and generate constructive engagement in that work. The Foundation is currently investing in our brand and outreach, and the Associate will support the important work of expanding our networks and building our relationships.
Reporting to the Managing Director, Strategic Alliances, the Associate will identify opportunities to support the Foundation’s initiatives through monitoring of the philanthropic landscape, conducting research on prospective allies, planning of small and large convenings (virtual and in-person) and providing administrative support to the Strategic Alliances department. The ideal candidate has at least 3 years of professional experience supporting teams at a mission-driven organization, excellent writing skills and high attention to detail. It is essential that our next Associate possess research skills that enable the department to generate ideas and identify opportunities to build and develop relationships with external partners.
Areas of Responsibility
- Conduct research and review philanthropic media on individual philanthropists, foundations, and companies to identify philanthropic interest areas which align with the Foundation’s mission.
- Assist with meetings with philanthropists, foundations executives, corporate executives and/or key influencers, including assistance with logistical elements of convenings, including flight and hotel arrangements, schedule creation and content, research into attendees, drafting materials, and follow-up.
- Organize the tasks and deadlines that are to be completed by or overseen by the Managing Director, Strategic Alliances
- Support the process for identifying prospective partners including preparing materials and drafting correspondence for the Managing Director and the President.
- Oversee data collection and management of Salesforce including analyzing Salesforce data to identify strategic opportunities.
- Provide research and other support for department initiatives and for the President, as needed.
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
- Minimum of 3 years professional experience; preferably with a large non-profit or other mission-driven organization focused on raising awareness about an issue and/or creating change.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Experience with supporting teams at mission-driven organizations focused on building and strengthening external relationships, including experience working with Salesforce to input, extract and interpret data.
- Excellent writing skills including demonstrated success in writing introductory letters, briefs on programs and activities of mission-driven organizations, and communications with potential partners on sensitive subjects.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including demonstrated success in arranging meetings, requesting information, and follow up on important meetings.
- Research experience, including demonstrated success in creatively developing research practices that generate ideas and opportunities for building and developing relationships with potential partners.
- High attention to detail, with excellent organizational skills.
- A work style to get assignments done while balancing that with a proactive mindset for other impactful opportunities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, as well as online desk research.
- Professionalism, dedication and humility.
- Collaborative spirit. This position works across all facets of the foundation.
- A professional interest in the foundation world and social change organizations is required.
- A personal interest in the Foundation’s mission is preferable.
We are committed to caring for our employees and their families through exceptional benefits. We pay for 100% of employee medical, dental and vision premiums, and generously contribute to family premiums. We provide life insurance, short-term disability coverage and long-term disability coverage at no cost to employees. We offer a 401(k) retirement savings plan with an employer match and additional discretionary contributions. Paid time off includes generous vacation, sick, and personal days. The Foundation offers a unique donation program, enabling employees the ability to direct a $5,000 donation to a mission aligned organization of their choice, with no employee donation required.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the role will be a remote-work position through at least April 2020. The Foundation does plan to resume in-office operations when it is safe to do so (advanced notice will be provided), and the position will be based in the Foundation’s offices, located in West Conshohocken, PA. West Conshohocken, PA is a short drive (~15 miles) from Philadelphia and within walking distance of a commuter train station into downtown Philadelphia.
Posted: December 29, 2020