Job Type: Faculty, Tenure Track
Application Deadline: October 14, 2019
The History department of Adelphi University, located in Garden City, NY just outside of New York City, invites applications for a Tenure-Track Assistant Professorship in Latin American and Caribbean history, any concentration, beginning Fall 2020. The department particularly welcomes candidates who have interdisciplinary interests and/or teaching competency in a cross-regional or thematic field such as environmental history, the Atlantic world, history of science or medicine, race, gender, etc.
- Expected to teach Western or World Civilization, a two-semester survey of Latin American history, Caribbean history, and advanced courses in the candidate’s area of specialization.
- Successful candidates will also have an opportunity to participate in developing curriculum and programming for Adelphi’s Latin American Studies program.
- Ph.D. by time of appointment required.
- Some teaching experience required.
- The potential to publish significant scholarship.
- Strong commitment to undergraduate education—including an ability to teach and mentor students of diverse backgrounds.
- Deadline for submission of application is October 14th – applications received after that date will be accepted, but may not receive full consideration.
- Applicants should submit a letter of application, C.V., chapter-length writing sample, evidence of teaching effectiveness, and three letters of reference. Letters of reference should be submitted online by the applicant or emailed by recommenders directly to firstname.lastname@example.org, or via interfolio to the same email address.
- Applicant must apply online on the Adelphi website.
- Direct any inquiries to the chair of the search committee, Associate Professor Kirsten Ziomek: email@example.com.
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university dedicated to transforming students’ lives through small classes with world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with particular strength in our Core Four—Arts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World Report, Adelphi is Long Island’s oldest private coeducational university, serving more than 8,100 students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers students more than 50 undergraduate majors and 70 graduate programs in the liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 115,000 graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from 41 states and 58 countries, and rising rankings from top publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
Adelphi University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from women, under-represented groups, members of the LGBT community, people with disabilities and veterans. Adelphi University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from women, under-represented groups, members of the LGBT community, people with disabilities and veterans.
Posted: September 13, 2019