The History Department at Linfield College
Job Type: Faculty, Tenure Track
Application Deadline: November 1, 2017
The History Department at Linfield College located in McMinnville, Oregon invites applications for a full-time tenure-track Assistant Professor position in European History, excluding Britain, to begin fall semester 2018. Teaching duties include a rotation of lower-level European history surveys, upper-level courses in area of specialty, and capstone courses for majors. Specialization is open but ability to teach courses on some of the following themes considered a plus: diasporas, ethno-racial relations/conflict, gender, imperialism, revolutions, science and medicine. Ph.D. in History required by July 1, 2018. Candidates who submit all materials by November 1, 2017 will receive full consideration.
- Teach survey courses in European history.
- Teach upper-level courses in areas of specialization.
- Teach Historical Methods and Senior Seminar on a rotating basis.
- Maintain an active scholarly program.
- Promote study abroad programs.
- Contribute as appropriate to interdisciplinary programs in Environmental Studies, European Studies, and/or Gender Studies.
- Teach Inquiry Seminars as appropriate.
- Serve on faculty committees.
Ph.D. in History by July 2018 required
The ideal candidate will have experience that demonstrates:
- Successful teaching at the undergraduate level
- Effective mentoring of undergraduate students including students of color and first-generation students
- Active engagement with scholarly field
- Track record of commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Dedication to institutional and community service
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
Review of applications will begin immediately. Applications will be accepted through November 1, 2017. To apply, please complete the online application process at and attach the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of interest
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness, including syllabi and teaching evaluations
- A sample of scholarly work
- Statement of teaching philosophy and pedagogy
- Statement of how your professional and lived experience, scholarship, teaching, mentorship, and/or service will build on Linfield’s diversity and inclusion efforts
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation – Please send recommendation letters to History Search c/o Betty Henninger, Director of Human Resources, email@example.com for attachment to your application.
About Linfield: Linfield College is an independent, coeducational comprehensive college with a strong commitment to the liberal arts. The main campus is located in McMinnville, Oregon, a community of 30,000 people approximately one hour southwest of the city of Portland and one hour from the Pacific Ocean beaches. A second campus, site of the Linfield-Good Samaritan School of Nursing, is located in northwest Portland.
Linfield College is actively engaged in promoting, advancing, and confirming our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a diverse and vibrant Linfield contributes to academic excellence and critical thinking. We welcome applicants who bring a diversity of identity, culture, experience, perspective, and thought. All candidates are encouraged to address how their professional and lived experience, scholarship, teaching, mentorship, and/or service will build on our diversity and inclusion efforts.
The college offers a high quality academic program and emphasizes strong concern for the individual student. Like other colleges affiliated with the American Baptist Churches, U.S.A., Linfield is committed to the principles of academic and religious freedom long associated with that denomination. Enrollment totals more than 2300 with students coming from 25 states and many foreign countries. This includes some 1,600 students on the McMinnville campus, 400 on the Portland campus, and students studying on line. Linfield is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities and approved by the State of Oregon for the training of elementary and secondary teachers. The School of Nursing is accredited by the Council on Collegiate Nursing Education and the college’s music program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.
Special features of the college include study abroad programs in 16 countries; a one-month January Term for intensive study; and internships and student research opportunities in a variety of disciplines.
We Value Diversity: Linfield College is actively engaged in promoting, advancing, and confirming our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a diverse and vibrant Linfield contributes to academic excellence and critical thinking. We welcome applicants who bring a diversity of identity, culture, experience, perspective, and thought. All candidates are encouraged to address how their professional and lived experience, scholarship, teaching, mentorship, and/or service will build on our diversity and inclusion efforts.
For more information, please visit https://humanities.academickeys.com/seeker_job_display.php?dothis=display&job[IDX]=98069-HU171018b-6&oid=550258
Posted: October 24, 2017