Name: 2018 Roy Porter Student Essay Prize
Application Deadline: February 01, 2019
Sponsoring Institution: Society for the Social History of Medicine (SSHM)
The Society for the Social History of Medicine (SSHM) invites submissions to its 2018 Roy Porter Student Essay Prize Competition. This prize will be awarded to the best original, unpublished essay in the social history of medicine submitted to the competition as judged by the SSHM’s assessment panel.
The competition is open to undergraduate and post-graduate students in full or part-time education. The winner will be awarded £500, and his or her entry may also be published in the journal, Social History of Medicine, subject to the usual reviewing procedures. The Editors of SHM reserve the right to invite any of the entrants to submit their essays for consideration by the journal.
The prize will not be awarded if the Panel considers that none of the essays reaches an acceptable standard.
- Undergraduate or postgraduate students, part-time or full-time; registered as of the deadline for submission of entries or awarded their degree (e.g. Bachelors, Masters, PhD, DPhil) in 2018.
- All candidates must join the Society for the Social History of Medicine by the date of submission. You can join the Society via the website of Oxford University Press. (The membership requirement may be waived for residents of developing countries, as listed on the OUP website. Please contact the Executive Secretary for further guidance). As proof of membership please state your SSHM membership number on the detachable Entry Form (see point 3 below)
- Members of the Executive Committee of the SSHM or the Editorial Board of Social History of Medicine may not enter the competition, even if otherwise eligible
- Candidates who are uncertain as to whether they are eligible to enter the competition should contact the Executive Secretary (email@example.com) before preparing their entry.
Essays must be:
- Unpublished and not submitted to any other competition at the same time
- Written in English
- Anonymous (authors must identify themselves only on the Entry Form available via our website stating SSHM membership number)
- 5000-9000 words in length (including footnotes).
- Referenced in accordance with conventions of Social History of Medicine, available at shm.oxfordjournals.org under ‘Instructions for authors’
- Not previously submitted to this competition
The panel will consist of the Chair of the Society, one of the Editors of SHM and two members of the Executive Committee of the Society, with the assistance of members of the editorial board.
Take a look at the list of previous prize winners, from 2003 onwards with links to published articles (access is free).
See more information on the SSHM website.
Posted: November 29, 2018