December 12-14, 2019, University of Hong Kong
We invite scholars, working on medicine and health in Southeast Asia to participate in the International Conference on the History of Medicine in Southeast Asia (HOMSEA). As a global city with historic links to Southeast Asia, Hong Kong provides a critical site for exploring issues of interregional and transnational connections. The organizing committee welcomes contributions on any aspect of the history of medicine and health in Southeast Asia, including, but not limited to, the following themes:
- Ecologies (vectors and infectious diseases; environment(s); animal health)
- Governance (infrastructures; (post)colonial medicine; health metrics and big data)
- Borders (migrations; mobility, therapeutic travel; borderlands)
- Therapeutics (pharmaceudicals; alternative / complementary / minority medicines)
- Caregiving (children; ageing; end-of-life care; chronic and acute illness experience)
- Individual papers: Submit an abstract of 300 words, together with a title, keywords, and a brief biography/CV (not more than 1 page, listing current affiliation, educational and work history, and publications).
- Panel proposals: Submit a panel abstract of 300 words, together with a panel title, keywords, and a brief biography/CV of the panel organizer. Panels should consist of 4 to 6 presenters (proposals should include paper titles and abstracts of 150-300 words for each of the presenters with their names and affiliations).
Please send submissions in a word file to Dr. Carmen Tomfohrde at firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 May 2019.
There are limited funds to subsidize some of the costs of participation for scholars from the Southeast Asia region, and for research postgraduate students. Please note that research postgraduate students will require a letter of support from their primary supervisors. If you wish to apply for funding, please visit our website, download the funding application form, and send it with the letter of support to email@example.com no later than 15 May 2019.
Mehra Family Professor of South Asian Studies, Harvard University
Submission: 15 May 2019
Notification: mid-July 2019
Prof. Warwick Anderson, University of Sydney
Dr. Francis A. Gealogo, Ateneo University
Prof. Laurence Monnais, Université de Montréal
Prof. Robert Peckham, HKU
Prof. Hans Pols, University of Sydney
Dr. Ria Sinha, HKU
Dr. Priscilla Song, HKU
Dr. Harry Wu, HKU
Call for papers
Deadline: May 15, 2019
Posted: March 11, 2019