March 30-31, 2017, San Sebastian/Donostia, Spain
Call for papers
Physicists, Historians of Science and Philosophers are invited to attend and submit short presentations to the workshop “Ether and Modernity”, on the presence of the ether in twentieth-century science and culture.
This is the third of a series of meetings (Oxford 2014, San Francisco 2015, San Sebastian 2017) to discuss the way an epistemic object like the ether was rejected, modified or maintained in the firs half of the twentieth century, and the later attempts to resuscitate it in contemporary physics.
The workshop has a twofold practical purpose: the finalisation of a joint publication with the contributions of the invited speakers; and the dissemination of the results and the incorporation of new ideas into the project by other historians of science, physicists and philosophers.
Please send expressions of interest to email@example.com by November 15th 2016.
- Imogen Clarke (Independent Scholar)
- Connemara Doran (Harvard University)
- Linda D. Henderson (University of Texas)
- Roberto Lalli (Max Planck Institute for the History of Physics)
- Jaume Navarro (Ikerbasque and University of the Basque Country)
- Richard Noakes (University of Exeter)
- Arne Schirrmacher (Humboldt University)
- Richard Staley (University of Cambridge)
- Scott A. Walter (University of Nantes)
- Michael Whitworth (University of Oxford)
- Aaron Wright (Stanford University)
Deadline: November 15, 2016
Posted: August 31, 2016