June 29-July 2, 2016, West Long Branch, NJ
Call for papers
“The West” and its Discontents: Contemporary Challenges to Western Dominance
- Islam, Is the West at war with Islam? A “clash of civilizations?”
- Environmental Crisis. Can a global system of mandatory environmentalism replace capitalism without increasing global poverty?
- The Crisis of Capitalism. Is capitalism really working?
- China and Russia: Challenges to the Western System. What institutions do they offer that provide better societal solutions?
- Multiculturalism. Many European countries have attempted the model of multiculturalism. Can it really succeed when immigrants are not willing or able to integrate into their host country’s culture?
- Decadence : The Challenge from Within. Why are so many people in the US more interested in the latest “reality TV” scandal than they are about the issues above? Was Spengler right about the “Decline of the West,” not only in terms of the political or economic spheres, but in a spiritual sense as well?
- How to understand these challenges?
Papers invited on the above topics, and any other topics of civilizational relevance. For more information, please visit wmich.edu/iscsc.
Please send abstracts by April 15 to Dr. Laina Farhat-Holzman: Lfarhat102@aol.com
Deadline: April 15, 2016
Posted: February 16, 2016