November 6-7, 2015, Houston, TX
Call for papers
Call for Abstracts: AFH cordially invites you to submit an abstract (250 words or less) for a presentation concerning the human side of HIV. The two-day conference in Houston, TX will consist of 20-minute paper presentations organized into panels, followed by break-out workshop sessions that will address issues highlighted in papers.
The conference will address three major themes:
- HIV and the Arts & Humanities
- Women and HIV
- The Church and HIV
We encourage abstracts that address one of these general themes. Some
specific issues that may be addressed, but authors should by no means feel
limited to include:
- The Lost Generation of artists, writers, dancers, musicians, and other creators from the first decade of the disease
- The importance of art and the humanities in dealing with HIV/AIDS
- The history of HIV/AIDS from a non-medicalized perspective
- Philosophical, literary, and artistic issues concerning HIV/AIDS
- The forgotten women in the early years of HIV (especially pre-1991)
- The relationship between defining HIV risk groups and sex/gender
- Race and HIV
- Stigma and HIV
- Inclusion and the Church
- Issues of religious belief vs. religious politics
- Religion, ethnicity, and HIV
- Southern churches, denial, and acceptance
- Spiritual tools for positive change
- Depictions of HIV in modern media
Abstracts must be prepared for blind review. Selection will be based upon relevance and compatibility with other presentations.
Due date for submissions: June 1, 2015
Conference dates: November 6-7, 2015
- All abstracts must be submitted in English.
- All abstracts should be no more than 250 words (excluding abstract title –title max is 25 words).
- All abstracts must be received by June 1, 2015. Any abstracts received after this date will not be considered. Each author submitting an abstract will receive an acknowledgement of receipt within five days. Authors who have submitted abstracts and have not received an acknowledgement within this period of time should contact the conference organizers immediately via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Abstract submissions will only be accepted via online submission. Faxed or mailed submissions will NOT be considered
- Include the first and middle initials and the last name of each author.
- Authors should be listed as lead/presenting author, followed by coauthors.
- An author’s affiliation should follow immediately after the author’s name(s).
- Use of abbreviations is desirable. Place special or unusual abbreviations in parentheses after the full word or phrase the first time the abbreviation appears.
All abstracts will be peer-reviewed and notification to authors is expected to
occur in July 2015. (Internal deadline: July 31, 2015)
Abstracts may be submitted without registration form and payment.
To withdraw an abstract, please send an e-mail to email@example.com before July 15, 2015.
For general questions about the conference please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not receive a response within 48 hours please call (713) 623-6796.
For more information, please visit http://www.aidshelp.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.event&eventID=631
Deadline: June 1, 2015
Posted: May 26, 2015