Beginning in 2020, the History of Science Society council will include an early career representative (ECR), serving a three year term (2020-2023). The successful candidate will represent graduate student and early career interests, provide an early career scholar’s perspective to other council members, and keep the early career and graduate community abreast of relevant HSS policies and initiatives. This is a non-voting council position. For more information about HSS council, please see here.
The HSS Graduate and Early Career Caucus (GECC) is facilitating the call for nominations for this position and subsequent election. All graduate students and early career members of HSS in good standing are members of GECC and eligible to vote in this election. You may check your membership status here. Graduate student memberships are $36/year and those who have received their PhD in the last year are eligible for a year of membership a no cost, see here for details. We invite any interested individuals to nominate themselves for this position or have others nominate them.
Interested candidates or those interested in nominating others should keep the following in mind:
- Candidates must be a graduate student or early career member of HSS in good standing at the time of the election.
- For the purposes of this position, “early career” is defined as “having received a Ph.D. within the last five years.” Nominees for the position should either a) fit this description when they are nominated (i.e., have received a Ph.D. in the last five years, even if they will be more than five years past graduation by the end of the position term of 2023), or b) be current graduate students who are within a year of completing their degree.
- Nominees can nominate themselves, or they can be nominated by others. All nominees must be seconded.
- All candidates are required to write a candidate statement (no more than 300 words), which will be posted on the GECC website
- This position is not a GECC officership and no current GECC officers are eligible to run.
- HSS will cover the ECR’s major expenses (registration, transportation, and housing) for HSS annual meetings (New Orleans 2020, Mérida 2021, TBD 2022).
All nominations must be submitted and seconded by November 15, 2019. Voting will take place through the GECC website from November 25 through December 6, 2019. Both nominations and seconds should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also email this address with any questions or concerns.