History of Science Society
Job type: Academic Administration, Faculty
Application deadline: July 20, 2017
This position reports to the Director of the History of Science Society (HSS), an international Society comprised of some 3000 members from around the world. The University of Notre Dame hosts the Executive Office of the HSS, as a sub-unit of the College of Arts and Letters’ Reilly Center for Science, Technology and Values. The Coordinator’s main responsibility is to help implement the HSS’s strategic plan. Toward that end, he/she supervises graduate students and other temporary workers, aids the Director in formulating policy and procedures for running the Office, assists with the HSS annual meeting and with board meetings, oversees information on the HSS Web site, fosters education and engagement in the history of science, and performs other duties associated with the Office. The Coordinator also coordinates the HSS’s financials with Notre Dame. The person must be able to handle multiple projects and also be able to work with a high degree of initiative. Specific duties include:
- Serves as a liaison to the various units (committees, interest groups, etc.) of the Society. Coordinates annual conference arrangements and board meetings, collects and analyzes data and compiles it for use in reports and publications for the Society.
- Financials: (a.) keeps track of Society funds, with an annual budget of approximately $700,000. Prepares and administers operating budgets in consultation with the Treasurer; interprets and applies administrative and fiscal regulations and policies and recommends new and improved programs to manage finances; recommends and initiates policy regarding all financial operations for bank accounts, Notre Dame accounts, and federal grant accounts, all of which are of a confidential and sensitive nature (15%). (b.) manages and coordinates federal reporting for the Society as a whole, including NASA and the National Science Foundation. The position is responsible for adhering to all granting agency guidelines (5%). (c.) Records and maintains accurate records of all donations and assists Director in fundraising, including strategy and communications (5%).
- Facilitate implementation of HSS’s strategic plan: http://hssonline.org/about/history-of-science-society-strategic-plan-2014/
- Manages and coordinates personnel, property, purchasing and reporting for the Executive Office and for the Society. Serves as a liaison between the HSS and various administrative units at Notre Dame.
- Coordinates and administers functions with sister societies.
Requires an indvidual who is comfortable working with highly educated individuals and who is committed to a high level of service to HSS Members. Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills, organizational skills, and ability to manage budgets. Need experience with bookkeeping protocols for an accrual system (e.g. making journal entries), with office software (especially Word and Excel), and with online QuickBooks.
Knowledge of history of science is desirable. Bookkeeping skills highly preferred.
Experience working with InDesign (or willingness to learn) is desirable.
For more information, please visit https://jobs.nd.edu/postings/9363
Posted: July 16, 2017